Students of the Month
For many years, Ottawa Hills Junior/Senior High School has celebrated the hard work and achievements of students by selecting an elite few monthly to be honored as "Students of the Month." From October through May, at least three students (one each from the 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12 grade clusters) are selected as determined by the following criteria:
- Citizenship: A student who exhibited or continues to exhibit dedication, unselfishness, and commitment to a class, the institution itself, and/or the people within our school.
- Community Service: A student who unselfishly accomplished or performed an act or series of acts which, as a result, greatly benefited another person or Ottawa Hills Local Schools as a whole.
- Extracurricular: A student who through a superior effort or outstanding ability, has performed or continues to perform in an extracurricular activity in such a way as to bring positive attention to themselves and the Junior/Senior High School.
- Leadership: A student who exhibited or continues to display the ability to motivate others towards the betterment of themselves and of the Junior/Senior High School.
- Scholarship: A student who has performed consistently at a level of academic achievement that is exemplary either in an individual class or at the Junior/Senior High School as a whole.
The nominations are made by faculty and staff at the building. The "Students of the Month" are selected by a committee of faculty and administration. The honorees are recognized by the Board of Education at one of its meetings and receive a special certificate from the Board president. Additionally, students are featured on the Junior/Senior High School's digital sign; in a special showcase in the building's main hallway; in the district's weekly e-newsletter; and in the Village Life & Home monthly publication.